Join in on the NCOM Spontaneous Fair to get some valuable practice and feedback on your spontaneous skills!
Beginning today, January 18, you can prepare for the fair by accessing practice problems using the button below.
The Fair will run from 5PM on Friday, January 22 through 11:59PM on Sunday, January 24. During this time, you will participate in 3 timed problems to be submitted and scored by your regional judges.
A webinar will be held for coaches on Saturday, January 30 at 10AM to answer questions and discuss spontaneous strategies.Virtual Spontaneous Fair Website
The 2021 NCOM Eastern Region pin is now available for sale at the NCOM Store! The pin is a 2-piece set consisting of a spider web in the shape of OMer’s face and a separate small spider pin that can be inserted into the center of the web.
The pin will only be sold as a set with a price of $6.50 (plus $5 shipping per order).
Head over to the NCOM Store and check it out along with the full slate of 2021 NCOM State pins!
The North Carolina Odyssey of the Mind store is open!
Looking for a great gift for your OMERs? Our 2020-2021 trading pin collection is available as a complete set of 19 pins or you can purchase them individually. You know you need another llama or a Patronus set in your life this year.
Instead of another state t-shirt, NCOM has gotten permission from Odyssey of the Mind HQ to produce this year’s problem icons on face masks. They are current, stylish, comfortable, adjustable, washable, and highly effective. Available in both adult and child sizes, these face masks would make excellent holiday gifts whether your OMER is going roaming, entering virtual reality, climbing a beanstalk, avoiding traps, wielding sock-induced superpower, or discovering that animals are people too!
A portion of the face mask sales will go to both NC and COU scholarship funds. What a great way to publicize Odyssey of the Mind and support our Odyssey family around the world.
- Click the button above to be taken to the Members Area login page
- Log in to the Members Area using your team membership number and zip code
- In the Members Area, click on the “Team registration” link to start the tournament registration process
To successfully complete the registration process, you will need the following information:
- Your membership name and number as they appear on your membership records
- The email address to which you want any tournament information sent. Check this address regularly!
- Your phone number
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of additional coaches
- Each team member’s name, and grade as of May 1, 2021
- The School each team member is attending
You will receive an email confirmation of the team registration. Payment can be made online with a credit card or by mail, using a check. On the confirmation email, you will find the link for paying online as well as the address to which you should send payment if you are paying by check (make your check payable to NCOM Eastern Region).
|New/Returning Coaches||[PowerPoint]||[Session Video]|
|Problem 1 – OMer the ROMer||[Request from the Problem Captain]|
|Problem 2 – Virtual Odyssey||[Request from the Problem Captain]||[Request from the Problem Captain]|
|Problem 3 – OMER and the Beanstalk||[Request from the Problem Captain]||[Request from the Problem Captain]|
|Problem 4 – It’s a Trap!||[Request from the Problem Captain]|
|Problem 5 – Superhero Socks: A Cliffhanger Beginning||[Request from the Problem Captain]|
|Primary Problem – Animals are People Too!|
|Spontaneous||[Virtual Spontaneous Take-Aways PDF]||[Session Video]|
|Secrets of Balsa||[Session Video]|
|Virtual Competition Tips and Tricks||[Video 1] [Video 2]||[Session Video]|
[Screen Sharing Video]
[Breakout Rooms Video]
|Live Practice Spontaneous||[Session Video]|
|Open Q&A||[Session Video]|
James A. Mourey, from the Illinois Odyssey of the Mind association, has created a series of 15 free videos designed to introduce students, parents, teachers, and coaches to Odyssey of the Mind. These videos are excellent for all teams, and especially for new teams and coaches. Check them out!
- Lesson 1 – What is OM?
- Lesson 2 – What You Will Do in OM
- Lesson 3 – The Long-Term Problem
- Lesson 4 – Creativity and Brainstorming
- Lesson 5 – Solving Your Long-Term Problem
- Lesson 6 – Focus and Style
- Lesson 7 – How to Write a Skit
- Lesson 8 – Building Your Solution
- Lesson 9 – Tweaking for Improvement
- Lesson 10 – Spontaneous
- Lesson 11 – Practice, Practice, Practice
- Lesson 12 – The Paperwork
- Lesson 13 – How to Compete
- Lesson 14 – Understanding Judge Scores
- Lesson 15 – Reflecting on What You Have Learned/Done